In 1923, most funerals were conducted in private home. During that year, the late Frank M. Higgins and his wife, the former Marie Rosensteel, established the first Higgins Funeral Home. Gradually, people began to appreciate the convenience and decorum of using a funeral home for these important observances. Mr. Higgins established a tradition of compassionate, caring, personalized service – and the business grew.
In 1958 under the management of John J Higgins, son of Frank and Marie, the facility was moved to 4303 Mahoning Avenue, in the Austintown area, and has been expanded considerably since then. Today, three other chapels have been added for greater convenience, which includes the Boardman-Canfield Chapel (opened in 1976 and the Poland Chapel, which opened in 1993 and North Jackson Chapel which opened in 2010.
John J. and Barbara’s daughter, Judy, who is a licensed funeral director, grew up in the funeral business – working at the funeral homes over the years to help her parents. Terry Reardon joined the firm in 1987 after graduating from the C.C.M.S. as a licensed funeral director and embalmer.
In January 1999, Judy Higgins-Reardon, and her husband Terry Reardon purchased the funeral homes. Today, under their supervision, the Higgins-Reardon Funeral Homes now serve families throughout Youngstown, Austintown, Boardman, Canfield, North Jackson, Poland, Struthers, and surrounding communities, with complete pre-need and at-need funeral and bereavement services. The firm celebrates three generations of family ownership, and almost a century of service to families of the Mahoning Valley.